DR. S. K. GEETHA PRIYA*, DR. JYOTHIKA BIJLANI**
O.T. SCHOOL AND CENTRE, G.S.M.C.
MUMBAI.*, O.T. SCHOOL AND CENTRE, G.S.M.C.
|Rationale: Pre-term as well as Low birth weight neonates in NICU are vulnerable to the effects of low tone, primitive reflexes, immature motor control & gravity. These neonates if left in unsupported extended positions frequently exhibit increased stress & agitation with decreased physiologic stability in NICU.
Purpose and Objectives:
- To provide Nesting to infants in secure containment with extremities flexed & towards mid line.
- To minimize positional deformities
- To aid in state regulation
- To encourage normal development
Methodology: The positioning device was used at NICU in KEMH on infants who were Pre-term or were low birth. The device was used through out the neonates stay in the hospital.
Secure nesting is made of PHLANYL cloth stuffed with waste cloth pieces. Velcro's are used for harnessing. Length of the device is approximately 55-60 inches. It can be adjusted according to infant's length.
- Facilitates development of midline, hand to hand, hand to mouth patterns of infants. Minimize the positional deformities. Aids in easy handling of caregiver. Prevention of other complications due to gravitational influences thus reducing the duration of stay in hospital leading to early discharge.
- Encourages normal development of infants.
- The neonates were able to regulate their state.
Discussion and Conclusion: Thus, the low cost positioning device for nesting the pre term & low birth neonates is easy to fabricate, cost effective can be reusable and is used as therapeutic device in EARLY INTERVENTION. Reduces the over all cost in treatment due to early discharge & encourages normal development of infants.
|How to Cite URL :|
|PRIYA G K S D, BIJLANI J D.. Available From : http://www.pediatriconcall.com/fordoctor/ Conference_abstracts/report.aspx?reportid=152|