ADOPT A CHILD
Easy steps for domestic adoption (known as In-country Adoption) in India
- Contact a Recognized Placement Agency or Voluntary Coordinating Agency (VCA) or Shishu Greh (SG) in your Area
- Get Registered with any of the Agencies.
- The agency will do a Home Study Report (HSR) after registration (maximum time 3 months) and if ok then you will be listed in the potential lists of adoptee.
- The agency will then match a child and parent. Be patient during this time.
- All agencies will do medical check-ups for the children before adoption.
- Adopt only from a recognized / licensed adoption agency or Recognized Adoption Placement Agency.
- Obtain a copy of the receipt of your Registration with the Adoption Agency.
- Get back if you do not hear them within 10 days after Registration regarding your Home Study.
- Do not adopt from Nursing Homes or Hospitals directly, as it is illegal and render you liable to legal action.
- Don’t succumb to the demand for unreasonable adoption fees or “donation”.
- Do not neglect or abandon the child in future.
- A Single parent, especially a single woman cannot adopt.
- There should be a minimum difference of 30 to 40 years between parent and child.
- A single parent has equal legal status to adopt a child.
Last updated on 01-03-2007