Packed lunches for school need not be boring. Just with little bit of imagination they can be fun and healthy.
Always keep in mind to include the 4 main food groups, pop in a drink and away you go!
1. Start with the basics: bread, cereal and potatoes group:
Ideas for you to try including the above food groups:
2. Add a tasty filling:
- Try different types of breads, e.g. sliced bread, bun, bagels, wholemeal bread or white.
- Rice, potatoes noodles, rice flour or wheatflour based chapattis
3. Add colour to your lunch box by adding fruits and vegetables.
- Try eggs,
- Beans or pulses shredded chicken in your lunch box.
4. Dairy delights: try to include dairy products in your lunch box- important to keep your teeth healthy and your bones strong.
5. Added extras: Fancy a 'treat' in your lunch box? Just try and make healthier choices when you can.
Pop in a drink:
- Plain milk or flavoured milk (rose flavour)
- Fruit juice cartons
- Mashed potatoes toasted sandwiches or alu parathas
- Fried rice
- Egg mayonnaise with cucumber
- Stuffed parathas with beans like mng dal
- Mixed bean salad with cucumber, tomato.
- Chapatti roll with shredded cooked chicken.
- Rice with peas.
- Make mixed pulses khichdi
- Take fresh fruit like apple, orange, banana or small packet of mixed dried fruits.
- Chopped raw vegetables like sticks of carrots, slices of cucumber or tomatoes and beetroot.
- To roll your favourite bhaji into chapattis like bhindi (okra), brinjal or capsicum
- Stuffed parathas with your favourite vegetables.
- Take small pot of yoghurt.
- Take small pot of shrikhand
- Try stuffed cheese or paneer parathas.
- Small cube of cheese
- Take small box of homemade rice pudding or kheer.
- Take packet of crisp or piece of fruit cake or fruit bun
- Plain biscuits or wafer biscuits
- Fun sized chocolates.
updated on 1-12-2005