ISSN - 0973-0958
   
 
Study of Risk Factors in Children with Primary Non-Syndromic Craniosynostosis
Girish Kumar1, Sheetal Sharda2, A K Bhalla2, K S Sodhi3.
1Department of Neurology, DRPGMC Kangra, Tanda, Himachal Pradesh, 2Department of Pediatrics, PGIMER, Chandigarh, 3Department of Radio diagnosis, PGIMER, Chandigarh, India.
 
Abstract

Craniosynostosis (cranio=cranium + syn=together + ostosis=related to bone) is a condition in which one or more of the fibrous sutures in an infant skull prematurely fuses by ossification. Several risk factors for non-syndromic craniosynostosis (NSCS) have been suggested.
Material and Methods: In this observational study we studied the risk factors associated with NSCS in 30 children aged 1 month to 12 years attending pediatric outpatient department in tertiary health care institute in India.
Results: Male: Female ratio was 1.7:1. Twenty-five (83.6%) children belonged to the plains while 5 (16.7%) belonged to the hilly regions from Himachal Pradesh. Ten (33.3%) children were from the rural areas and the rest (66.7%) were from the urban area. The mother’s age at conception was below 30 years in 28 (93.3%) patients. On the other hand 16 (53.3%) of the fathers were above 30 years of age.
Conclusion: Paternal age more than 30 years and male gender is associated with non-syndromic craniosynostosis.
ask a doctor
Ask a Doctor
Creative Commons License This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License
Disclaimer: The information given by www.pediatriconcall.com is provided by medical and paramedical & Health providers voluntarily for display & is meant only for informational purpose. The site does not guarantee the accuracy or authenticity of the information. Use of any information is solely at the user's own risk. The appearance of advertisement or product information in the various section in the website does not constitute an endorsement or approval by Pediatric Oncall of the quality or value of the said product or of claims made by its manufacturer.
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0