Milk - How To Get Your Child To Have Milk

Monica Adhikari
Consultant Dietician, Great Ormond Street Hospital, London.
First Created: 09/15/2014  Last Updated: 09/15/2014

Milk helps to build a healthy body and strong teeth, more so because it has plenty of calcium.

Sources of milk:

The most popularly used milk is cow's milk and buffalo's milk. In fact, most of us enjoy drinking milk in its natural form.

Composition of milk:

Milk contains 80-90% of water. The rest 10% are major nutrients required by the body like carbohydrates, fats, proteins, minerals and vitamins. Cow milk contains 3.5 to 5% fat and buffalo's milk contains 9-10% fat. Milk also contains minerals like calcium, phosphorous which are plenty and potassium, sodium, iodine in traces. It is an excellent source of vitamins A, B, E, and K. Carbohydrates acts as a sweetener and is a major source of energy.

You might know..

A cup of milk provides 300 mg of calcium while a cup of yogurt gives 300-400 mg of calcium and cottage cheese (paneer) 75-150 mg. A liter of milk supplies as much calcium as 21 eggs.

Milk products:

  • Ice cream, a popular frozen desert is made of milk, cream and flavouring agents.

  • When chilled cream is churned gently we get butter leaving buttermilk, which is a nutritious drink.

  • Yoghurt (Dahi) and cheese are fermented milk products.

  • Dried non-fat milk, condensed milk and evaporated milk.

Despite all these advantages of milk, we know your kid makes a big fuss over the morning glass of milk. Well, you like to convince him of the gains of milk by making some likable deserts out of milk:

  • You can make ice cream of your favorite flavor at home.

  • You can also take fresh milk cream and whip it lightly. Add some

    fruits and nuts and flavor with vanilla or any other essence.

  • Drinking buttermilk during summers is good for your child's digestive system.

  • Shrikhand, the popular sweet dish made of freshly hung curd can be given to a child.

  • Milkshakes in different flavors of chocolate, banana, mango, and strawberry are good breakfast drinks.

  • Souffles are also made with milk.

  • Kadhi made from yogurts (Dahi) can also be given.

  • Paneer (cottage cheese) can be put in vegetables or a sandwich.

  • A cup of milk mixed with honey taken before going to sleep at nights is very good.

Milk is a complete food as it gives energy, helps growth and prevents many diseases. So next time

your child says 'no' to milk, just say one glass of milk a day, keeps illness away.

Milk - How to Get Your Child to have Milk Milk - How to Get Your Child to have Milk 2014-09-15
Disclaimer: The information given by is provided by medical and paramedical & Health providers voluntarily for display & is meant only for informational purpose. The site does not guarantee the accuracy or authenticity of the information. Use of any information is solely at the user's own risk. The appearance of advertisement or product information in the various section in the website does not constitute an endorsement or approval by Pediatric Oncall of the quality or value of the said product or of claims made by its manufacturer.
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0