Question of the Week

Question :
Posted On : 17 Mar 2024
I am searching for the management of a patient with ingestion of a firecracker.
I received one on my last on-call, Patient was a 5-year-old boy, vitally stable, who ingested a Firecracker 7 hours back and was having to complain of vomiting ...
I gave him I.V. fluids and admitted him for observation, the patient suddenly collapsed later that night, and I'm trying to find out the reason for such a fast collapse. Phosphorous is a killer, but death after ingestion of a firecracker within 24 hours is not getting in my head.
5
Expert Answer :
Though firecrackers contain phosphorus, some of them may also contain barium which may cause hypokalemia and sudden cardiac arrest.
Answer Discussion :
H
hizbullah khan
Profile
Low potassium,fatal arrhythmias?
1 month ago
J
Josephat Ndolle
Profile
Organophosphate poisonous usually is a fatal condition despite the time of exposure. Too sad ??
1 month ago
T
Thet ZawOo
Profile
may be due to barium toxicity
1 month ago
H
HB HB
Profile
As you recognized already, such ingestion could be a killer, electrolytes disturbances , liver failure, renal failure could happen and some might not be promptly recognized in your case!
1 month ago
A
Abdelazim Elsergany
Profile
maybe acidosis or perforation due to barium salts
1 month ago




Disclaimer: The information given by www.pediatriconcall.com is provided by medical and paramedical & Health providers voluntarily for display & is meant only for informational purpose. The site does not guarantee the accuracy or authenticity of the information. Use of any information is solely at the user's own risk. The appearance of advertisement or product information in the various section in the website does not constitute an endorsement or approval by Pediatric Oncall of the quality or value of the said product or of claims made by its manufacturer.
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0